PERTH MODERNIAN SOCIETY
The Perth Modernian Society is an Association of former students and staff. There are two levels of membership – Registered Membership which is FREE and Contributing Membership which is $120 ($80 for Year 12 Graduates) for a four year membership. Details of membership benefits are on the web site.
Membership can be made electronically through the Society’s web page.
The executive meets twice per term in the History Centre. The Society produces a quarterly e-newsletter for Registered Members and an annual publication for Contributing Members.
The Society organises a variety of reunions and social functions. Up to date information is available from the Society’s website below.
The Perth Modernian Society has two major sub-committees:
The Sphinx Foundation Inc. whose current major project is raising the capital to fund scholarships for current students. The Sphinx Scholarship Fund appeal's purpose is to assist deserving students meet their potential. The Sphinx Foundation between 2010 and 2013 has already provided 74 Sphinx Scholarship and Bursary awards to incoming students (Year 8) with demonstrated financial needs or other circumstances, or to Year 10 students who have demonstrated high achievement in specific academic subjects. All donations to this worthy appeal are Tax Deductible.
The Historical and Museum Committee curates the archival records, ensures the preservation of heritage artifacts and manages the recently established History Centre. The committee welcomes biographical information, photographs and memorabilia related to the School, former staff and ex-students. It also responds to family requests for information about past scholars and to requests related to curriculum requirements from School staff and students.
Contact with the Executives of these groups may be made by mail to the school, through phoning the Society on 9487 1192 or by e-mail to: [email protected]. The Society has available an Alumni Tie and an Alumni watch. Details are on the Society website. In 2005 the Sphinx Foundation launched the book “Perth Modern School: the History and the Heritage”. ($50 + pp). For information on how to purchase the memorabilia please email the above address or visit the website of the Society.
The date of the Annual Reunion of all students is advertised on the home page Society’s website as soon as the date is set. Past students interested in details of the Decade Reunions of the Year 12 (Leaving) class of 1967, 1977, 1987, 1997, and 2007 should also make e-mail contact. The alumni body believes that amongst all government schools in WA and indeed in Australia, Perth Modern School can confidently look to the future knowing that it has a large, strong and well-organised alumni organisation that always stands ready to support the school in many meaningful ways, as well as serving a wide range of other functions for the Society’s members.
The Council of the Perth Modernian Society knows that this illustrious school is a lighthouse for quality public education and that it has never been in better shape than it is now. Details of current Alumni events, membership application forms and other current news is available on the Perth Modernian Society website: perthmoderniansociety.org.au.
WHO MAKES IT ALL HAPPEN
- Professor Geoff Soutar, President student 1961-65
- Deborah Beresford, Hon Secretary teacher 1974-2007
- Eve Broadley, Hon Treasurer student 1958-60
- Barrie Barker, Finance student 1954-58
- Ruth Barrett, Member
- Sallie Davies, student 1951-55, teacher 1961
- Peter Farr, Past President student 1954-58
- Julian Grill, Member
- Ian Jarvis, Communications student 1954-58
- Jeanette McQueen, student 1957-61
- Barbara Mallett student 1966-70
- Ed Lazarus, student 1956-60
- Lois Joll, PMS Principal
- Barrie Baker, Convenor Treasurers
- Eve Broadley, Council
- Peter Farr, Sphinx Foundation
- Alan Porter, H&M Committee
- Barrie Baker, Chair
- Peter Farr, Treasurer
- Eve Broadley, Member
- Nigel Hunt, Member
- Jeanette McQueen, Secretary
- William Philogene, Member
- Val Furphy, Associate Principal
- Deb Beresford, Convenor
- Sallie Davies, Chair
- Robyn White, Deputy Chair
- Robert Johnson, Hon Treasurer
- Sharon Williams, Hon Secretary
- Lois Joll, Board Member
- 2 Vacant positions
- Sallie Davies, Acting Chair
- Deb Beresford, Honorary Archivist/Curator
- Alan Porter, Hon Treasurer
- Robyn White, Hon Secretary
- Ian Jarvis, Hon IT Manager
- Gay Albillos, Member
- Frank Hedges, Member
- Robert Johnson, Member
- Rod Smith, Member
- Gay Albillos, Conservation
- Deb Beresford, Hon Archivist
- David Black, Hon Consultant
- Jim Davies, Biographical Index
- Sallie Davies, Coordinator
- Frank Hedges, Bio Index
- Robert Johnson, War History
- Stephen Monterosso, Thomas St
- Bill MacPherson, Photo Scanner
- Deirdre Owen, Archives
- Alan Porter, Science Restoration
- Rod Smith, Science Data Entry
- Roger Stubbs, Research
- Dr Robyn White, Archives
- Sharon Williams, Parent
- Alison Woodman, Research
- Barrie Baker
- Sallie Davies
- Peter Farr
- Ian Jarvis
- Malcolm McCusker
- Donald Tyler
- Deborah Beresford
- Eve Broadley
- Alan Porter
- Tonya McCusker AM
- Alison Woodman
Perth Modern School and the Perth Modernian Society offer these very special memorabilia items for you to cherish. To commemorate our school we have a range or memorabilia available for sale.
For more information please contact school reception on 9380 0555.